GS1 128 Barcode Symbol Specifications
GS1 128 (formerly known as the UCC/EAN-128 symbology or simply EAN 128 ), together with Application Identifiers (AIs), enable companies to provide additional information about a product in addition to the GTIN (unique product identification number). GS1 128 may be used presently only on a trade item as retail systems are not capable of scanning this bar code.
GS1 128 Barcode Symbol Print Specifications
- Size: Variable and dependant upon content
- X dimension at nominal size: 1.016 mm
- Magnification Factor: 25% to 100%
- Target Magnification: 48.7%
- Min. Bar Height: 32mm
- Target Location: Min. 19mm from a vertical edge.
GS1 128 & Logistic Unit Labelling
GS1 Ireland, in conjunction with a number of leading suppliers, distributors and retailers, drew up a set of guidelines on the use of the GS1 128 symbology on outer case and pallet labels.
What is a Logistic Unit?
A logistic unit is an item of any composition established for transport and/or storage and that needs to be managed through the supply chain.
GS1 Logistics Label Sections
There are two basic forms of information on a GS1 Logistics Label - Human Readable and Machine Readable. The typical GS1 Label has three sections:
- A top section which contains free format information
- A middle section which contains information about the unit in human readable form and
- A bottom section which contains the barcode symbols(s) and their human readable interpretation.
Download a guide to the GS1 SSCC Online Pallet Label generation tool
For further information, please click on the link below to download a copy of the GS1 128 Guidelines for use in Ireland.