fTRACE: An event-based traceability solution
- fTRACE is a software system that captures and records batch level traceability information about a product as it moves through the supply chain.
- This product information, subject to agreed permissions, can be shared with other trading partners, authorities and consumers.
- Today, fTRACE is used by a broad range of food producers and distributors to record and share traceability information with both retail customers and end consumers.
How Does fTRACE Work?
fTRACE works by recording the ‘What’, ‘Where’, ‘When’ and ‘Why’ of specific events along the supply chain.
What is Event-Based Traceability?
An ‘event’ is a moment or action along the supply chain. It can be something as simple as a movement e.g. an order dispatched from a distributor’s warehouse to retailer’s store or a step in the production process e.g. deboning, cutting or freezing.
Traceability events in the food processing supply chain
The Consumer Value of Food Traceability
According to the 2019 Shopper Intelligence Ireland study, shoppers that deem product traceability as important are a key target group for retailers and brand
owners. Typically they shop for an entire family, are open to deeper engagement in-store and are prepared to pay more and trade up for premium product options.
Critically for Irish retailers, trust around traceability is seen as a ‘loyalty driver’ by Irish shoppers i.e. they will shop where they trust in traceability capabilities.
As expected, Irish shoppers say fresh and cooked/prepared meat and fish categories are the most important when it comes to trust in traceability…but some other
interesting ones include Eggs, Milk, Baby, Fruit/Veg, Vegetarian Foods and Prepared Sandwiches.
Visit the Shopper Intelligence website for further information.
Benefits of event-based traceability for suppliers
There are a whole host of benefits that suppliers and producers can bring to their operations through the implementation of event-based traceability. These include;
1. Legal Compliance
2. Efficiency of product and data management
3. Support Quality Assurance & Brand Trust initiatives
4. Risk Management
Read more about the benefits.
Request a Demo
Read next: As a Supplier, how do I get started with fTRACE?