What is the National Product Catalogue (NPC)?
The National Product Catalogue or NPC is a single repository of product data for all Irish Healthcare Sector Product Categories for the purpose of data synchronisation. These categories include medical devices, pharmaceutical, catering and food services, cleaning products, etc.
The NPC is hosted by GS1 Ireland on datasync.ie its data synchronisation platform. This platform enables the secure sharing of item master information such as product identifiers and descriptions, units of measure, package contents, product classification and related healthcare information.
What are the benefits of using a National Product Catalogue?
The NPC will transform procurement in Irish healthcare, providing significant benefits to both suppliers and providers. In particular, as a single source of electronic procurement information it will benefit suppliers by:
- Creating one standard process for providing item details to all healthcare providers and other stakeholders (streamlining processes for the provision of data)
- A myriad of existing paper forms and specification sheets will be replaced by an electronic system
- Improving product visibility and reach across the Irish healthcare system
- Providing a solid basis on which to build electronic messaging systems for eProcurement
- Reducing the effort and cost involved in communicating product information to Irish healthcare.
- Decreasing "out-of-stocks" and supplier capital tied up in safety stocks
- Significantly reducing the time and cost of introducing new products onto the market
- Streamlining notifications of product recalls.