Webinar Series: Healthcare Provider Advisory Council Series
The Healthcare Provider Advisory Council (HPAC) Webinar Series.
Find out how GS1 can enable patient safety and improve efficiency in the hospital setting by hearing directly from healthcare providers through case study presentations. These complimentary webinars take place the second Thursday of each month and are open to any stakeholder interested in learning about GS1 standards implementation in the care giving environment.
|Next date: |
Thursday 13th September 2018
UK/IE GMT: 1:30-2:30pm BST
(Usually second Thursday of each month.)
|Topic & Speaker|
Speaker: Dr. Pieter Helmons, hospital pharmacist at St Jansdal Hospital in Harderwijk, the Netherlands
Title: Yes we scan! Minimizing medication administration errors through successful change management.
Dr. Pieter Helmons will explain:
- The strategy to assure 100% availability of barcoded medication at the bedside and more than 95% scanning compliance
- When implementing barcode scanning, make sure all medications throughout the hospital are barcoded at the start of the project
- Focus is key! The scan rate in the hospital is 96% and this way they are able to ‘catch’ at least 10 errors a day
- Making it easy to do it right; Don’t scan everything! Create an institution-wide BCMA policy describing where to scan and what to scan
- Praise your nurses! Barcode scanning is a major change of workflow! We all have the same goal, so create a team spirit
- BCMA compliance requires continuous monitoring; it is not a one-time implementation if you want to make it a success; BCMA is the standard in US hospitals: the technology is there, start now!
The webinar audience is all stakeholders who wish to learn about patient identification in a large teaching hospital, the challenges and benefits.
View details and reserve your place here.
Access past presentations and listen to recordings.
Dr. Pieter Helmons, hospital pharmacist at St Jansdal Hospital in Harderwijk, the Netherlands