Where a deposit under these Regulations is applicable, a retailer shall charge the deposit on the in-scope product to the customer and provide the consumer with proof of payment of the deposit.
A retailer shall
- register with an approved body and display their certificate of registration
- ensure that the deposit payment is itemised on the proof of payment (receipt)
- ensure that the returns facility for taking back in-scope bottles and containers is visible and easily accessible
- take back every in-scope bottle and in-scope container returned to it by a consumer
- provide storage for the in-scope bottles and containers
- display the location of the closest return point
- return all returned in-scope bottles and containers to the approved body.
A retailer shall immediately reimburse the value of the original deposit paid, in a manner prescribed by the approved body, to a consumer who presents an in-scope bottle or in-scope container for return, irrespective of where the in-scope product was purchased and the deposit first paid.
A retailer shall not be required to take back:
(i) an in-scope bottle or in-scope container that is damaged,
(ii) an in-scope bottle or in-scope container that is not empty,
(iii) an in-scope bottle or in-scope container that does not have marking that indicates a deposit was payable on the purchase of the in-scope product to which it relates.