Deposit Return Scheme - Transition Period Update May 2023
May 11, 2023,
by Re-turn - Category: Retail
Transition Period Announced for Ireland’s new Deposit Return Scheme
Ireland will be introducing a new Deposit Return Scheme in February 2024. When you buy a drink in a plastic bottle, aluminium or steel can that has the Re-turn logo, you pay a small deposit in addition to the price of the drink. You can then return your bottle or can to any retail outlet and get your deposit back in full.
Ahead of the launch date for the Deposit Return Scheme on 1st February 2024, Re-turn has announced a Transition Period for Producers and Retailers. See the full details of the announcement below:
From the 1st of February 2024:
- Producers will have a Transition Period of 6 weeks, from 1 February - 15 March 2024. This will facilitate the run out of 'old' stock, in addition to selling of new Re-turn logo stock to Retailers.
- Producers will have the option to deliver new Re-turn logo stock to Retailers from January, in preparation for go live on 1 February 2024.
- Producers will be required to report ALL stock placed on the market during the Transition Period.
- Retailers may only sell Re-turn logo stock to consumers from 1 February 2024.
- The Retailer Transition Period is 4 months, from 1 February to 31 May 2024, after which time ONLY new Re-turn logo stock may be stocked on shelves / sold to consumers.
Re-turn will be providing further information in the weeks ahead. Registered Producers and Retailers are invited to contact Re-turn directly for further details and event information.Tags: DRS, Deposit Return Scheme,