NFC Forum and GS1 sign MOU
Brussels, Belgium and Wakefield, Mass., USA - June 20th, 2012
NFC Forum and GS1 Team Up on Mobile Retail
NFC Forum and GS1 will collaborate to share standards and build awareness.
The MOU is a reflection of the growth of mobile devices in retail. NFC is driving the proliferation of new B2C applications, such as NFC-enabled mobile payments, promotions, loyalty programs, and promotional tags that provide detailed product information. For the millions of global manufacturers and retailers that employ GS1 standards in their supply chains, these applications and devices provide opportunities to interact more directly and personally with consumers to share information and deliver greater value.
Under the MOU, the NFC Forum and GS1 will collaborate to:
- analyze the various data formats currently supported by the two organizations and develop mutually-beneficial use cases based on related standards;
- investigate the feasibility of mutually adopting common technical standards in areas such as RFID air interfaces and data communication protocols;
- increase awareness of NFC and GS1 within each of the respective organisations through information sharing, boot camps, white papers, case studies, webcasts, and other non-technical activities;
- develop commonly agreed-upon communication plans to inform the market about GS1 and NFC standards; and
- explore opportunities to combine use of Global Trade Item Numbers (GTINs) and Global Location Numbers (GLNs) together with NFC promotional functionalities.
"NFC technology can provide a wealth of information to support the supply chain," said Koichi Tagawa, chairman of the NFC Forum. "Because GS1 provides the most widely used supply chain standards system in the world, they will play a major role in advancing the global adoption and interoperability of NFC. We look forward to a long and fruitful partnership.”
"This opens up a realm of opportunities for mobile B2C applications based on NFC Technology and GS1’s unique product identification system,” said Miguel Angel Lopera, President and CEO of GS1. “The collaboration between GS1 and the NFC Forum will be critical to the interoperability of future services developed around these technologies, and is of vital importance to our members in their mobile retail developments.”
For further information:
Christine Cecil, GS1 email@example.com
Ruth Cassidy, Virtual, Inc. +1 781-876-6239 firstname.lastname@example.org